El Torito Restaurant’s Sweet Corn Cake garnish is one of my favorite things about this place. On nearly every entree, there is this little scoop of sweetness that just makes the meal. Check out the menu and you can see it on almost every dish. I have always eaten it not knowing whether it is entirely gluten free or not and I’ve never been able to get a straight answer about its gluten free status whenever I ask the servers. Most of the time they only hear the word flour, so they tell me they can’t guarantee the gluten free status.
Last week, as I was wandering through the grocery store on my lunch hour looking for new foods to try, I came across this new mix for Sweet Corn Cake. I usually avoid packaged foods because of the sodium and preservatives, but I found this new El Torito Sweet Corn Cake Mix and thought I’d give it a try. There are only 5 ingredients in the mix: Sugar, masa flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder. To make the recipe, just add a can of cream style corn (I used the no salt added version), butter, and water. How easy is that?
The result is nearly identical in appearance and taste to what El Torito serves in its restaurant. This is a keeper, and I am sure there are many creative options to vary the recipe. The downside is that, like most treats, it is a little high in fat and sugar, and low in nutritional value. But as a garnish on a plate, it adds a nice touch and one small scoop is not too damaging to a healthy diet.
Here’s the original recipe. My microwave recently stopped working, so to make the recipe, I put the butter in the bowl of a 2-quart double boiler. The advantage of this was that I only used one bowl to mix everything. Once the butter was melted, I added everything to the same bowl, making less work to clean up.
- 1 package El Torito Sweet Corn Cake Mix
- ¼ cup melted butter, margarine, or butter flavored Spectrum shortening
- ¼ cup water
- 1 can (15 oz) cream-style corn
- In a double boiler, melt butter; add corn cake mix and combine.
- Add water and cream-style corn. Mix until ingredients are combined.
- Pour mixture into a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed.
- Use an ice cream scoop to serve sweet corn cake as a side dish or for dessert. One scoop (50g) is approximately ½ serving.